Dr. Mostafa Atri is a Professor of Radiology at University of Toronto and the Director of Ultrasound at JDMI. He also holds the position of the Associate Editor of Ultrasonography for the Journal Radiology.
His interest lies in cross sectional gynecology and early pregnancy ultrasonography imaging and contrast enhanced ultrasound.
Dr. Atri is also interested in education, especially in ultrasound in the underserved areas.
- Total Kidney Volume Measurements in ADPKD by 3D and Ellipsoid Ultrasound in Comparison with Magnetic Resonance Imaging
CONCLUSIONS: Total kidney volume measurements in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease by 3D ultrasound and ultrasound ellipsoid displayed […]
- Contrast-enhanced US of the Liver and Kidney: A Problem-solving Modality
Contrast-enhanced US (CEUS) has an important role as a supplement to CT or MRI in clinical practice. The main established utilizations are in the […]
- The added value of contrast-enhanced ultrasound in evaluation of indeterminate small solid renal masses and risk stratification of cystic renal lesions
CONCLUSION: In our cohort, CEUS had high specificity and PPV to diagnose RCC in sSRMs excluding lipid-rich AML. CEUS had significantly higher […]
- Evaluating the Transvaginal Ultrasound Diagnostic Criteria for Abnormal First-Trimester Pregnancy With Follow-Up Into the Third Trimester and Validation of Results
CONCLUSION: In our cohort, MSD ≥20 mm in the absence of yolk sac or an embryo with heartbeat always predicted a non-viable pregnancy.
- Recognizing the Role of the Reticuloendothelial System in the Late Phase of US Contrast Agents
- Quality of ultrasonography reporting and factors associated with selection of imaging modality for uterine fibroids in Canada: results from a prospective cohort registry
BACKGROUND: Uterine fibroids are common in women and their management is heavily influenced by information gathered through imaging. We aimed to […]
- Negative Predictive Value of Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound of Liver and Kidney Thermal Ablation Sites for Local Tumour Progression During Long-term Follow-up: A Retrospective Consecutive Study
CONCLUSION: In this cohort, CEUS showed high NPV for exclusion of LTP at renal TA sites. NPV for hepatic TA sites was high but lower than renal TA.
- Adenomyosis As a Confounder to Accurate Endometrial Cancer Staging
The coexistence of endometrial adenocarcinoma and adenomyosis in the same uterus is a common phenomenon. In many of such affected patients foci of […]
- Associations between quantitative evaluation of bowel wall microvascular flow by contrast-enhanced ultrasound and indices of disease activity in Crohn's disease patients using both bolus and infusion techniques
CONCLUSIONS: CEUS kinetic parameters correlate with clinical and laboratory indices and are significantly higher in patients with active disease. The […]
- 2018 FIGO Staging System for Uterine Cervical Cancer: Enter Cross-sectional Imaging
Imaging plays a central role in the 2018 International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics staging system for uterine cervical cancer. The […]
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Clinically Suspected Adnexal Mass, No Acute Symptoms
There are approximately 9.1 pelvic surgeries performed for every histologically confirmed adnexal malignancy in the United States, compared to 2.3 […]
- Reproducibility of 2 Liver 2-Dimensional Shear Wave Elastographic Techniques in the Fasting and Postprandial States
CONCLUSIONS: Our study showed that the 2D SWE techniques had a high degree of reliability and agreement in measurement of liver stiffness in a […]
- Successful Integration of Contrast-enhanced US into Routine Abdominal Imaging
Contrast material-enhanced US is recognized increasingly as a useful tool in a wide variety of hepatic and nonhepatic applications. The modality […]
- Deep Endometriosis: A Diagnostic Dilemma With Significant Surgical Consequences
- Imaging Approach to the Diagnosis of Acute Appendicitis in a Group of Teaching Hospitals With 24/7 In-house Availability of Ultrasound Technologist: Effect of Timing of Request on Imaging Modality
CONCLUSIONS: US was less utilised in acute appendicitis detection after hours, although its diagnostic sensitivity was better than regular-hours […]
- Negative Predictive Value of Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound in Differentiating Avascular Solid-Appearing From Vascularized Masses: A Retrospective Consecutive Study
CONCLUSIONS: Contrast-enhanced ultrasound has a very high NPV to exclude the presence of flow in a mass, and it can be used to exclude the presence […]
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Staging and Follow-Up of Ovarian Cancer
In the management of epithelial ovarian cancers, imaging is used for cancer detection and staging, both before and after initial treatment. The […]
- Utility of shear-wave elastography to differentiate low from advanced degrees of liver fibrosis in patients with hepatitis C virus infection of native and transplant livers
CONCLUSION: Liver stiffness evaluated by SWE can differentiate low from advanced liver fibrosis.
- The prognostic and predictive value of vascular response parameters measured by dynamic contrast-enhanced-CT, -MRI and -US in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma receiving sunitinib
CONCLUSIONS: DCE-MRI, -CT and ultrasound produce complementary parameters that reflect the prognosis of patients receiving sunitinib for mRCC. Blood […]
- Identification of Distant Metastatic Disease in Uterine Cervical and Endometrial Cancers with FDG PET/CT: Analysis from the ACRIN 6671/GOG 0233 Multicenter Trial
Purpose To assess the accuracy of staging positron emission tomography (PET)/computed tomography (CT) in detecting distant metastasis in patients […]
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Ovarian Cancer Screening
There has been much interest in the identification of a successful ovarian cancer screening test, in particular, one that can detect ovarian cancer […]
- Can the Presence of a Surrounding Endometrium Differentiate Eccentrically Located Intrauterine Pregnancy from Interstitial Ectopic Pregnancy?
CONCLUSION: Our results suggest that the presence of surrounding endometrium around the GS allows for differentiation of eccentric IUP from […]
- Utility of PET/CT to Evaluate Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Metastasis in High-Risk Endometrial Cancer: Results of ACRIN 6671/GOG 0233 Trial
Purpose To assess the diagnostic accuracy of fluorine 18 fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) positron emission tomography (PET) combined with diagnostic […]
- Reply to Letter to the Editor re: Should fat in the radiofrequency ablation zone of hepatocellular adenomas raise suspicion for residual tumour?
- Should fat in the radiofrequency ablation zone of hepatocellular adenomas raise suspicion for residual tumour?
CONCLUSION: Fat in the ablation zone of HCAs is a common finding which, in isolation, does not indicate residual tumour.
- Radiology Perceptions and Preferences of Canadian Patients in an After-hours Acute Care Setting
- Utility of PET-CT to evaluate retroperitoneal lymph node metastasis in advanced cervical cancer: Results of ACRIN6671/GOG0233 trial
CONCLUSION: Addition of PET to DCT resulted in statistically borderline increase in sensitivity to detect LN metastasis in abdomen in advanced […]
- When the Appendix Is Not Seen on Ultrasound for Right Lower Quadrant Pain: Does the Interpretation of Emergency Department Physicians Correlate With Diagnostic Performance?
A survey was administered to 166 academic emergency department (ED) physicians to determine their interpretation and practice after receiving an […]
- Enhancement Threshold of Small (< 4 cm) Solid Renal Masses on CT
CONCLUSION: A minority of small RCCs do not reach either a 15- or 20-HU enhancement threshold and might be misinterpreted as a hyperattenuating cyst. […]
- Impact of Acquisition Method and Region of Interest Placement on Inter-observer Agreement and Measurement of Tumor Response to Targeted Therapy Using Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound
This study evaluated the impact of different acquisition methods, user-directed region of interest placement and post-processing steps on the […]